01 October 2010

my bucket list.

this isn't exactly design related, but it does have some design-related components! i was inspired by nicole's 30 before thirty list, &finally decided to make a variation of the list for myself. this is a way to visually recognize some goals i have, &to acknowledge myself after having met them. (plus, i just like lists &checking things off of them!) i'll keep updating this list when i come up with more goals &check off the ones i've met. 


without further ado, my bucket list (in no particular order):
- learn to do crazy hula hoop tricks
- take an aerial yoga class
- practice yoga loyally for at least a year straight, perfecting postures such as crane, tortoise, wheel, eight crooked limbs, scorpion, headstand, etc*
- *once completed, consider getting a lotus tattoo on [hopefully more defined] back
- stop eating ground beef, once &for all
- take a pottery class
- take swing dancing lessons with matt
- play djembe a whole lot more
- learn some songs &sing them with matt playing guitar
- learn how to play cello or violin
- finish decorating my walk-in closet!
- spray paint my file cabinet [then, organize it]
- refinish my old nightstand
- make an eames hang-it-all-inspired coat rack
- tidy up my website &make it look a whole lot cooler
- make some abstract paintings
- practice architectural hand drawing &rendering until it looks as good as candice olson’s work (HA!)
- get really good at adobe illustrator &in design
- finally finish my degree!!
- update my portfolio
- become NCIDQ-certified
- get my LEED Green Associate &LEED AP accreditation
- get more involved with CIDR
- intern with a cool residential designer
- visit designers I interned with in high school
- audition for HGTV’s design star
- open a home furnishings store with my uncle that offers design services
- get married &have a sweet diy wedding
- make a hot pink crinoline skirt to wear under my wedding dress
- live in a two-story town home in Lafayette Park in Detroit for at least a year
- live in an old house with a turret
- buy a house &remodel it!!
- make an official craft /sewing /drawing room
- trim cheap-o doors with moulding to make them look super classy
- make a tavern-y/pirate-y ‘man cave’ for matt in the basement of said house
- adopt up to 10 old, ugly, or otherwise ‘unadoptable’ cats to live in a ‘cat room’ /retirement center in my house
- grow a garden with more than tomatoes &cucumbers
- get some goats &maybe some chickens
- make copies of /frame important family photos, such as grandparents’ weddings, portrait of grandma c, portrait of grandpa t, grandma t’s nursing photo, nana &nanu with grandma c &her sisters, mom &dad as babies, dad as a baby with his easter bunny, mom &her brothers &sisters as kids on Christmas, etc.
- put books on bookshelf in ‘rainbow order’
- spin wool roving into yarn with my drop spindle
- learn how to use a spinning wheel to spin yarn
- make a rug out of old t-shirts
- complete the quilt I bought at treasure mart
- make a quilt using anna maria horner /amy butler fabrics
- make a baby quilt using old plaid button-down shirts
- make matt a ‘captain hook’ pirate coat
- make a jacket for myself using a vintage pattern
- make myself a ‘sailor’ dress
- finish my giant technicolor hexagon blanket
- create an art journal
- join a knitting [or another kind of craft] group
- make a couch out of a claw-foot tub
- mosaic a table with beer bottle caps
- make something with reclaimed wood
- refurbish the two bikes i dumpstered
- make some string art
- submit artwork for the dirty show
- make something out of paper mache
- make ‘oilcloth’
- embroider a pillow cover with may’s flowers on it
- make more collage art
- make a purse out of an old record
- make a notebook out of an old book or record cover
- make more knit ‘graffiti’
- take more ‘artsy’ photos with my camera
- get a ‘nifty fifty’ lens for my camera
- go urban exploring &take a ton of photos
- get dreads
- dye my hair pink
- cut my hair off [&into a severe a-line cut] &donate it
- get stocking seam tattoos
- go camping out west
- visit Italy &the rest of Europe
- visit Chicago again!
- visit mies van der rohe’s Farnsworth house in Illinois
- visit bleeding heart bakery in chicago
- visit Portland
- attend theatre bizarre
- attend music festivals other than dunegrass &farmfest
- buy a cool old VW bus [&convert it to biodiesel] or retro camper trailer
- volunteer with habitat for humanity
- blog religiously
- actually use my etsy shop to sell things
- get some good headshots taken of myself
- &maybe some sort of retro (pin-up?) photo shoot
- get a dollhouse (yes, seriously)
- buy a super cool retro one-piece bathing suit
- buy a molded plastic Eames chair
- buy a Barcelona chair [&maybe ottoman]
- buy a vintage retro starburst clock
- &a starburst mirror
- buy a retro chrome &formica dining set
- acquire some Syracuse meadow breeze china
- make fattoush salad from scratch [including dressing]
- have my grandma t teach me a bunch of her recipes
- finish the ‘a song of ice &fire’ book series
- redecorate my mom’s laundry room
- install a tile backsplash with matt in my mom’s kitchen
- come up with a design solution for the recessed wall above the foyer at mom’s house
- make mom a fabric-covered headboard
- recover mom’s green chair &/or matt’s recliner

wow, that's a lot of stuff!! =)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a long list! Is this all by 30 years old as well!? lol I actually started making a list like this for my life in general and while I'm in Korea! It's so exciting. I think it will also be interesting to look back in 5 years at the things you wanted to do five years prior! I need to google some of these things you wrote about since I wasn't sure what they were. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! yes, it's ridiculously long.. it just kept growing! i like making lists.. they're kind of handy to remind yourself of what your goals are, &i totally agree that it'll be fun five years from now to look back at where my mind was at. i don't necessarily have a set time for completing all of these things, but some of them i'd like to check off within a few years. you should post yours, too!

    ReplyDelete